Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Linguistic Differences

Most of my students at William Elementary School do not have a problem with a language barrier. But I have noticed when I have gone to other classrooms when my class is at gym there is a slight problem. I once thought that if a child had to learn to write, read, and speak english after growing up with a different primary language. The lesson plans that teachers do must be able to relate to all of the bilingual children and the directions hopefully just as simplistic. I can tell that everything in my first grade class is very basic.

To my surprise when we had read during our FNED 346 the article of Teaching English Language Learner that it really is not that hard for a student to learn to read in English if they are taught to read in their own language first, Goldenberg. I was in awe. Most of my students are just starting to read however and some are struggling but like I mentioned previously a lot are behind. I did get to observe two of the students start talking away in Spanish and know one seemed to even realize it. I however just did what I love to do and people watched at how they interacted. It was much easier for the children to help each other and the Ms. S did not seem to care.

Johnson says that it is good for students backgrounds to be brought into the classroom and Ms. S has in her room many things the students bring in to her room every where. They all point and say what the object or picture they drew of their families mean to them. The students all seem to be proud of their heritages and that is exactly what a classroom should do. Embrass instead of neglect.

One of my visits when I was going to help two students start reading. They just stared at me nervous and probably thinking who is this woman, why is she here. I realized my approach was probably very foward. So, when I was able to sit with them again I said a little about my self. I then asked the children to write something about themselves down and draw a picture. They immdedicately started to scribble. It was a tad hard to read but I was glad they became more comftorable and this has helped us create a strong bond. Johnson explain the crucial importance of making sure their is no prejudice of the differences in the classroom and not let the majority take over.

I have started noticing a lot of the students have gotten books from their school libraries with a cd in them. This cd translates the book into different languages which is very cool. The students seem to enjoy engaging in a book more often. I always start to chuckle when they are proud that they have finally finished reading it on their own and they can tell me or their teacher all about it.

This realization of the major differences in any classroom could prompt as a problem but if we work it out in a way that we can be able to share our differences then we as a classroom will be stronger, that is what I truly believe.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mandi!

    After reading your blog, I found it interesting how you caught on so quickly that some of the children have a problem with a language barrier. Yes, not all children are brought up speaking English, therefore if the teacher is aware of the situation; the teacher must find a way to make directions easy so all students will catch on. I like how you related your classroom experience to Goldenberg’s “Teaching English Language Learner”. Yes, I agree I was in awe as well. Most of my students are in the same boat as your students are. They are just starting to read; therefore their language growing up is the only language they know. Why do you think the other students did not seem to realize their two classmates talking in Spanish? Do you think they are used to hearing that language in their home? Could it possibly be because Spanish was their first language that was taught to them? Do you believe Ms. S should have helped the two students out in understanding a certain question rather than letting them talk to each other in a different language?

    Also, while reading your blog I came across something that was interesting you had mentioned about Johnson. Johnson stated it is good for different student backgrounds to be brought into the classroom. I believe that Ms. S brought a great idea into the classroom having to do with Johnson’s statement. You mentioned that Ms. S allows her students to bring something valuable into the classroom that represents their own identity. Therefore, Ms. S shows acceptance of all cultures and backgrounds of each and every student within her classroom. Of course the students are proud of their heritages. Their heritage represents who they are as a person or a student. I know I would be proud!

    While sitting down with the students, I found it interesting how you seemed to change your attitude towards the students for the second time. You mentioned that your first approach to the students probably seemed very forward. When I first started talking to the first graders I tutor, I came off as calm, cool and collective. I kept in my mind that I am not talking to an adult, I am talking to a child who is under the age of ten. I like how you were eager to sit with your students again and give it a second try. I am not saying you failed the first time, because you did not, I am saying you are brave to try again. I don't know if I could have approached my students in a way that I was not use to.

    Therefore, you had the opportunity to explain to the students that you were once in the same boat they are. That was a very unique idea by asking the children to write something about themselves and draw a picture. Common now, what child doesn’t like to draw?! :) Yes, Johnson did explain the crucial importance of making sure prejudice of the differences within a classroom does not take place. It seems to me that you were willing to give your knowledge to any student no matter their race, ethnicity, religion or language barrier.

    Great job! I really enjoyed reading your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think learning in their own native language first is really important. Nowadays if you know how to speak two languages your golden. I think that its hard for students sometimes because teachers dont listen all the time. if teachers listened all the time I think students would be doing a lot better in classes. For a student to come from a different culture and be able to learn another language is amazing. I wish I could be able to say that I would be able to do this. Once someone gets to know the material and they can understand it they feel great. i know that when someone understands how to do something and they do it right its a great accomplishment for them. They feel like they have achieved something great and they have. To them this means the world and to the people who helped or teacher that helped that means everything to them as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda,

    You mention that Johnson believes that students' backgrounds should be brought into the classroom. I suspect that you are correct. Such an idea would be consistent with his beliefs. I don't remember his specifically addressing this issue, however. I would need more to see the connection.

    I agree with your last statement: Diverse classrooms can be a microcosm of our democracy.

    Keep thinking on these things,
    Dr. August

    ReplyDelete